Litigation can be a financially, emotionally, and psychologically draining experience. Our goal is to resolve our clients’ disputes quickly and efficiently before a lawsuit is filed. When litigation arises, however, you want an advocate with the experience and skill necessary to aggressively litigate and try cases.
The Commercial Litigation Group is Co-Chaired by Art Scheller, Charlie Philbrick and Rob Muriel. Hoke LLC has extensive experience providing a full range of litigation-related services in civil matters. These include breach of contract, financial fraud claims, tort, real estate, healthcare, construction, class action, complex probate disputes, and general commercial litigation of all kinds on behalf of individuals, businesses, nonprofits, and governmental units.
Our representative experience includes:
- Obtained judgment in favor of the nation’s second largest public transportation system. This followed a two-week trial in a case involving claims for more than $3 million arising out of the construction of five elevated stations and track structures.
- Successfully defended a major medical device manufacturer who was a defendant in over 500 product liability cases pending throughout the United States. This included cases consolidated in federal court for multi-district litigation.
- Successfully argued appeals in the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Court on behalf of a major retailer involved in a class action lawsuit that arose out of the retailer’s practice of collecting sales tax on shipping charges for internet purchases. See Kean v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 231 Ill. 2d 669 (2009).
- Successfully defended a major hospital, its officers, and individual physicians in a case involving breach of contract and tort claims brought by a surgeon whose privileges were terminated following a medical peer review.
- Represented a national home builder in obtaining dismissal of an annexation petition following a one-week trial.
- Obtained a $2.5 million award of legal fees and expenses on behalf of a landowner after a local school district abandoned its condemnation of the landowner’s property.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of a major medical device manufacturer in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving a $4 million breach of contract case.
- Represented a golf course in an international arbitration hearing held in Guangzhou, China involving breach of a construction contract.
- Represented a water reclamation district in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving construction of a $48 million wastewater treatment plant.
- Represented a Chicago museum in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving a capital bond financing issue.
- Rob Muriel Appointed to United Policyholders Board of Directors
- Amalia Rioja Confirmed as Chair of the Ethics Commission of the State of Illinois
- Rob Muriel Moderates COVID Insurance Panel at Hispanic National Bar Assn. Convention
- Hoke LLC Case Named Top Insurance Decision in U.S. in 2019 by Law360, Law.com, P&C 360 and RM Magazine
- Conduct RFP and Implement Web-Based System for 60,000 Insurance Claims
- Rob Muriel to Participate in Chicago Bar Association Panel on The Need for More Diversity in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Artificial Information (“AI”) Production/Review of > 14M PP/Docs
- Hoke LLC in the Media: Law 360, Business Insurance, Bloomberg, JD Supra
“I used Steve Hoke at two companies for asbestos work. I found his breadth and depth of knowledge in this area to be unmatched in the industry.“