Hoke LLC Case Listed by Law 360 as First of “Insurance Cases to Watch in 2019” Argued Before Connecticut Supreme Courtshoke2013
CHICAGO FIRM’S CASE LISTED AS FIRST OF “INSURANCE CASES TO WATCH IN 2019” IN THE U.S. BY LAW 360
CHICAGO: Hoke LLC represents the policyholder plaintiff in the lead case listed by prominent legal website Insurance Law 360 as “Insurance Cases to Watch in 2019” in the United States. See Link. On behalf of Vanderbilt Minerals, LLC, Hoke LLC prevailed both at trial and on appeal on the major legal issues impacting the insurer defendants’ coverage obligations. Hoke LLC argued the case before the Connecticut Supreme Court on March 27, 2019 and is expected to establish the law on many critical insurance issues that remain undecided in Connecticut and other states. Some of the noteworthy details are as follows:
- Most complex civil case in CT history – based on number of pleadings filed;
- Longest appellate hearing in CT history – six hours;
- Longest appellate court opinion in CT history – 161 pages;
- Underlying case tried over a two-year period;
- Involved 60 years of historical insurance coverage dating to 1948;
- Over 30 insurance company defendants (e.g., CNA, London, Travelers, Hartford); and
- Established as matters of first impression CT law governing critical complex insurance issues relating to asbestos, mass tort, and environmental issues.
Hoke LLC is a Chicago-based boutique law firm that represents corporate and institutional policyholders in complex insurance coverage disputes throughout the U.S. and in the U.K.