CHICAGO FIRM’S CASE LISTED AS FIRST OF “INSURANCE CASES TO WATCH IN 2019” IN THE UNITED STATES BY LAW 360shoke2013
Hoke LLC represents the policyholder plaintiff in the lead case listed by leading national legal website Law 360 as Insurance Cases to Watch in 2019 in the United States. See Link. On behalf of Vanderbilt Minerals, LLC, Hoke LLC prevailed both at trial and on appeal on the major legal issues impacting the insurer defendants’ coverage obligations. The case will be considered by the Connecticut Supreme Court in 2019 and is expected to establish the law on many critical insurance issues that remain undecided in Connecticut. The outcome is expected to potentially have impact on other states grappling with mass tort long-tail liabilities such as asbestos, mass tort, and pollution.
Some details of the case:
- Most complex civil case in CT history – based on number of pleadings filed;
- Longest appellate hearing in CT history – six hours;
- Longest appellate court opinion in CT history – 161 pages;
- Underlying case tried over a two-year period;
- Involved 60 years of historical insurance coverage dating to 1948;
- Over 30 insurance company defendants (e.g., CNA, London, Travelers, Hartford); and
- Established as matters of first impression CT law governing critical complex insurance issues relating to asbestos, mass tort, and environmental issues.
Hoke LLC is a Chicago-based boutique law firm that represents corporate and institutional policyholders in complex insurance coverage disputes throughout the U.S. and in the U.K. Its lawyers have dedicated their careers to insurance coverage, all having been partners or associates at major law firms. This focus and experience has produced notable results for its clients, including:
- The 1st and 4th highest policyholder claim awards from the NJ Integrity Insurance Liquidation: $53M, and $12M.
- Ensured access to over $1.4B in insurance for asbestos and environmental defendants alone via litigation and out-of-court settlements; and
- Recovered tens of millions of awards from various U.K. insurance insolvencies.
This record of accomplishment by a boutique law firm on behalf of major corporations in consequential and sophisticated litigation in the U.S. and abroad is indicative of the skill and experience of its lawyers and staff.
Our mailing address is: Hoke Attorneys at Law LLC
400 S. Green St., Suite 556
Chicago, IL 60607
Steve Hoke Direct: 312-575-8576
Steve Hoke Cell: 708-828-0545